- all together
- all together, altogetherThese are often confused, because their meanings encroach on one another. All together means ‘everyone together’, and the word all is usually removable without damaging the syntax or affecting the meaning: e.g.
• One victim and five suspects, all together in a sealed room —A. Morice, 1971.Altogether is adverbial and means ‘entirely; in every way’: e.g.
• The idea of counselling in schools is not altogether new —Times, 1970
• Martinez was not altogether unknown. But the antagonism of people in Chicago is insignificant. He has another ball game in mind altogether —Saul Bellow, 1982
• Like Ruskin, he can at times write sentences which I would call ‘woozy’; that is to say, too dependent upon some private symbolism of his own to be altogether comprehensible to others. —W. H. Auden, 1970.
Modern English usage. 2014.
Look at other dictionaries:
All Together — est un dessin animé produit par Walt Disney pour l Office national du film du Canada, sorti le 13 janvier 1942. C est un film de propagande pour l achat des bons pour soutenir l effort de guerre où apparaissent presque tous les personnages de… … Wikipédia en Français
all together — index en banc, en masse Burton s Legal Thesaurus. William C. Burton. 2006 … Law dictionary
all together — adverb 1. all at the same time (Freq. 1) Let s say Yes! all at once • Syn: ↑all at once 2. used of a group whose members acted or were acted upon collectively and when all and together can be separated by other words they were herded all together … Useful english dictionary
all together — See altogether, all together … Dictionary of problem words and expressions
all together — all in one place or in a group. → all … English new terms dictionary
all together — Synonyms and related words: all agreeing, all at once, as one, as one man, at a blow, at a clip, at a stroke, at once, at one blow, at one jump, at one stroke, at one swoop, at one time, by acclamation, coinstantaneously, concurrently, conjointly … Moby Thesaurus
all together — everyone working as a unit, everyone pulling together … English contemporary dictionary
all together — adverb altogether … Wiktionary
All Together Now — Chanson par The Beatles extrait de l’album Yellow Submarine Sortie 13 janvier 1969 … Wikipédia en Français
All Together Now — could refer to:* All Together Now (The Beatles song) , a song by The Beatles from Yellow Submarine * All Together Now (DVD) a DVD of a Cirque du Soleil presentation of The Beatles music. * All Together Now (The Farm song) , a song by The Farm *… … Wikipedia